||Business Formation and Acquisition,
IP Litigation, Trade Mark Law and Copyright Law
||University of McGill
||Quebec, 1991; Ontario, 1993;
New York, 1997
Taras is a senior associate in our Corporate-Commercial and Intellectual Property groups. His practice focuses on servicing the needs of small and medium-sized businesses. As a Trade Mark Agent registered with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Taras places special emphasis on branding and securing and protecting clients’ intellectual property assets.
Some of Taras' recent files include:
-The prosecution in Federal Court and negotiating, at a judicially mandated settlement conference, a highly favourable six figure outcome for a key manufacturing client against a multinational food conglomerate based in Europe.
- The successful prosecution of numerous trade mark applications in the face of “descriptive refusals” by Examiners at the TMO.
- Negotiation, purchase and/or sale of pharmacies.
- Obtaining injunctions for Canadian companies to stop foreign importers from trade mark “passing off” and infringement of copyright
- Pursuing complicated applications for charitable status before the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Incorporating and advising Not for Profit organizations
- Advancing companies’ worldwide branding strategies through applications before CIPO, USPTO and WIPO
Taras specializes in intellectual property. He focuses on trade-mark applications and prosecutions for manufacturers and distributors of food and beverages, and other manufacturing and service companies. Taras uses his 20 plus years of experience in this area to arrive at creative solutions when companies find that their brands are being copied or infringed. He has specific expertise in obtaining injunctions, civil search orders (Anton Pillar Orders) and mediating settlements of complicated trade-mark passing off issues.
Taras has also been involved with citizenship and migration law for over 20 years and can assist High Net Worth clients with relocation and related issues throughout the world through his extensive network of contacts.
Taras travels frequently between Canada and Europe and can regularly meet international clients with Canadian and international legal interests face to face.
Taras is fluent in both English and French, and serves the community by acting as the International Relations Officer of the Canadian branch of HOPE Worldwide, an international charity recognized by the United Nations.
Connect with Taras through LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/taras-kulish/4/53/5a2
Stay in touch with the news Taras thinks is interesting: http://www.facebook.com/TarasKulishSMHI